• Tertiary qualification advantageous
• Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Social media familiarity
• Basic Photoshop (or equivalent0 skills
• Good writing skills
Skills & Competencies
• Excellent English written skills
• Sub editing skills
• Copy tasting skills
• Basic photo editing skills
• Translating from Afrikaans to English advantageous
• Keen eye for detail
• Willing to learn
• Ability to work to deadline
• Enjoy engaging with people online
• Flexible and proactive
• Fast learner
• Able to handle responsibility without continuous direction.
The applicant must be a junior, senior or graduate student at the time the application is submitted, but may have graduated before beginning the internship. The intern would preferably have had at least one previous internship at a news organization although this is not a requirement.
Duties & Responsibilities
The intern's duties include;
• Producing articles, photos and multimedia for Drum on the Web.
• Assist other content producers and the Editor by conducting research and compiling information for special sections, enterprise stories and breaking news events.
• The intern will gain technical experience working with HTML, Photoshop and our database-driven content management system.
•In addition, he or she will acquire more journalistic skills, including writing headlines and summaries and sharpening his or her news judgment.
• The internship is intended to teach the skills used by a content producer for Drum.
• This on-the-job training will expose interns to how news judgments are made and how the plans for larger enterprise take shape.
As the internship progresses, interns can expect to contribute more and more to the coverage. Candidates will preferably know some HTML and Photoshop and have a demonstrated interest in journalism and a familiarity with Drum.
• Load articles in the appropriate sections on the website
• Localise international articles
• Perform routine maintenance tasks on legacy content on the website, including to improve SEO
• Update content
• Load articles in the Multimedia section
• Upload Multimedia content related to Drum
• Populate and update sponsored sections and centres as required.
• Manage experts and forums and perform routine tasks required to keep the digital properties fresh and updated.
Close Date: 2015/09/27
CLICK HERE TO APPLY