ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP
All SAHA internships are based at the SAHA offices at Constitution Hill in Johannesburg. The intern will be expected to work on a full-time basis for at least 6 months (up to a maximum of 12 months) and will receive a modest monthly stipend for the duration of the internship. FOIP interns report to the FOIP Training and Community Liaison Officer. Preference will be given to recent graduates who have never been in full-time employment.
SUMMARY OF KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
In the course of the internship, interns are expected to support the work of the FOIP team through:
Submitting and tracking requests made of public and private bodies under PAIA
Assisting in the delivery of SAHA’s PAIA training to NGOs and CBOs
Tracking legislative development and jurisprudence that have implications for the constitutional right of access to information
Conducting research, as directed, into national and regional use of access to information legislation, as directed
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Degree in law, political science, public administration, journalism or other relevant field.
- Demonstrable commitment to social justice
- Ability to plan, prioritize work, and meet deadlines
- Ability to show initiative within a collaborative working environment
- Good attention to detail
- Strong written communication skills
- Competency with Microsoft Office software
Please prepare a one-page letter of motivation (no more than 500 words) that addresses the following three questions:
- What is the purpose of Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2000 (PAIA)?
- What were the motivating factors behind the development of PAIA?
- Provide an example of how you think PAIA could be used to support struggles for justice in South Africa?
Applications should be submitted by email to email@example.com.
The subject line of your email must include the following: FOIP Internship Application 2015/10 – [Your Name].
The closing date for applications is Monday the 9th of November 2015 at 5pm.
Only complete applications submitted through the above email address as directed will be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Should you not hear from us by the 22nd of November 2015, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Interviews will be conducted at the SAHA offices in Johannesburg in week of 30 November – 4 December 2015.