We’re looking for a bright-eyed, bushy-tailed events sourcing ninja to help find awesome Mother City happenings, compile overviews, update basic events and lend a logistical hand around the office (note: the only coffee you’ll be fetching will be your own, so don’t worry about that).
More specifically, the events intern is responsible for finding annual and weekly events for our popular weekend and monthly overviews, creating and updating events matrixes of all the cool places in Cape Town, writing some of the basic events, finding potential events clients and conducting research.
The intern will need to work quickly and well under pressure and will need to be gifted with words and a super keen bean and go-getter.
There’s opportunity to shoulder some serious responsibility here and to gain some valuable insight into the world of online publishing. Plus, there’s also a chance that the internship could evolve into a permanent position should you prove yourself an invaluable addition to the team.
- Source events for the popular “7 Things to do in Cape Town this Weekend” every week
- Fact-check and update old events overviews
- Write and update basic events features
- Source photos and videos and edit pics using Adobe Photoshop
- Incorporate SEO best practice into the events articles
- Write social media posts from time to time
- Source new events for every touch point and contact organisers for facts
- Populate the events matrixes
- Find potential new events clients
- Assist with the events charity project
- Strong writing ability with a good grasp of grammar and spelling (this will be tested)
- A degree/diploma in Journalism/English/Media Studies/PR and Communications (advantageous but not essential)
- Accustomed to a fast-paced environment
- A positive can-do attitude
- A hard-core work ethic and a serious interest in getting the most of this experience
- Understanding of SEO (advantageous but not essential)
- Experience using CMS (advantageous but not essential)
- Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook experience
- An aptitude to understand different processes
- A structured multi-tasker
- Knowledge of Photoshop (advantageous but not essential)
- Sound research skills
- A lively interest in Cape Town events and insider knowledge into what’s happening when
- Comfortable talking to events organisers on the phone
- Knowledge of Hootsuite
- Familiarity with newsletter software (e.g. GraphicMail)
- Familiarity with Google Analytics
- Own transport and driver’s licence
- Solid worker that can handle pressure and create good content quickly.
- A person that loves to be in the know about all things in Cape Town and the Western Cape
- Positive attitude
- A key interest in SEO and online media channels
- Duration: 6 Months – 1 Year (at least 3 days a week)
Remuneration: To be discussed.
If interested, send your CV, a short letter of motivation and a writing sample to Samantha Corbett at email@example.com (please use ‘Application for 2016 Events Internship’ as your email subject line). Shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a writing test.