About SAIIA Youth Programmes
Cultivating the ability for critical thinking and deeper understanding of the complexities of global issues is necessary for our young people, if they are to truly be able to tackle the challenges created by a changing world.
As a research think tank with youth development programmes, the South African Institute of International Affairs is unique. A trailblazer in this arena we seek to not only foster awareness on international affairs, but to cultivate future leaders and researchers while creating platforms for children and youth to start to engage with decision makers on local, national and global issues.
Youth@SAIIA refers to all youth development initiatives and programmes at the South African Institute of International Affairs. We currently run three core programmes: the Environmental Sustainability Project, Model United Nations, and Inter-school Quizzes. Each of these programmes now feed into our annual SAIIA Young Leaders Conference and later participation in the SAIIA Youth Policy Committee.
About the Applicant
The successful applicant must be excited about working with high school learners, teachers and varsity students. Experience with Model United Nations is a must. Experience with environmental initiatives and previous volunteer experience with Youth@SAIIA is advantageous.
The Youth Programmes intern will be responsible for working with SAIIA’s Youth Programmes Manager to:
- Provide administrative and logistical support for Youth@SAIIA’s various events and conferences
- Assist in organising tutoring for high school learner participants
- Assist in organising topic talks and workshops for learners, teachers and university students
- Assist in writing Model United Nations and Environmental Sustainability topics guides
- Assist the Youth Programmes Manager in contributing to and maintaining Youth@SAIIA’s web and social media presence
- Ability to work 15-20 hours a week from February – December 2016
- Ability to work independently on assigned projects
- Must be able to travel to SAIIA Head Offices in Johannesburg
- 3rd year, Honours and Masters level students are welcome to apply. Applications are also welcome from qualified out of school young people who have completed at least three years of university studies.
- Good planning and organisational skills
- Previous experience with Model United Nations (experience with environmental programmes advantageous)
How to apply
Closing date is 01 February 2016. Applicants must submit a motivational letter and a CV by email to Desirée Kosciulek at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by fax at 086 295 1064.