THAT ART FAIR 2016 runs from 17 February - 6 March 2016. Interns are needed to support the THAT ART FAIR Team leading up to, during and post the event.
You must be able to start immediately. Only interns with their own personal computers and access to transport will be considered. You must be comfortable working in a non-traditional work environment and acting as part of a very close-knit team. You must be comfortable working unconventional hours and overtime, including working late leading up to the event and working in shifts during the event, some of which will be at night. This position is based in Cape Town.
PLEASE NOTE: This is an unpaid 3 month internship with a travel stipend offered to cover transport costs (R1000.00 per month). A comprehensive internship letter of reference covering all your skills and duties will be provided.
- Supporting the THAT ART FAIR TEAM with media, communications and promotion leading up to the event. This could include writing PR copy, sending out letters to the media, attending to queries from artists/galleries/other participants in the fair.
- Keeping THAT ART FAIR's social media platforms up to date. This might entail conceptualising and/or running social media campaigns as well as posting daily leading up to the event and creating 'live posts' during the event on a regular basis.
- Supporting the ground staff during THAT ART FAIR. This will include client-facing duties such as attending to artists' queries, managing the floor staff, attending to visitors' queries, following directions from senior members of the THAT ART FAIR team, assisting the Manic Global Staff when they have queries.
- Supporting the THAT ART FAIR Team with all post-event responsibilities, including sales and PR round up.
- Matric certificate & tertiary qualification (Marketing, Public Relations, Event Management etc.)
- Good knowledge of the creative industry and/or an interest in contemporary art (an art-oriented background would be advantageous, but is not a requirement)
- Detail-oriented, highly organised and efficient and self-motivated
- Computer literacy (good knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. as well as the Adobe Suite, Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro, etc.)
- Social media proficiency (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and MailChimp)
- Experience with exhibitions and/or events management and production would be advantageous (please supply examples of similar projects you have worked on)
- Hands on attitude and team player.
How to Apply:
Please send the following (with ATT: Leigh Bassingthwaighte) to
- Cover letter/personal statement expressing your interest in the internship
- Your CV along with any examples of similar projects that you have worked on
- Specify all technical knowledge, digital tools, social media networks and blogging platforms you are familiar with (Shooting video on DSLR, managing Social Media campaigns, Photoshop, Illustrator, WordPress, etc.)
First deadline to apply is 20 January 2016. The sooner you make your application, the better!
About THAT ART FAIR:
THAT ART FAIR is an inspired, curated art fair event initiated by ART AFRICA magazine. Our specific focus is on contemporary unrepresented and emerging artists from Africa and the diaspora. THAT ART FAIR addresses the needs of artists living and working on the African continent – and further afield – by providing a professional platform where they can showcase their work in a relaxed but professional environment and where they be seen and interact with-curators, collectors, galleries and new audiences.
We have adapted the traditional model of the ‘art fair’ to offer unrepresented and emerging artists an opportunity to benefit from this professional stage, by providing them with the necessary resources to help them to achieve recognition and success. THAT ART FAIR specifically encourages an open, inviting and friendly environment where a new generation of art audience (and ultimately collectors) can meet with the artists directly and be introduced to their work.
For more information, have a look at our website(s): /