The candidate will report to the Research Manager and be based at our offices in Randburg.
(Preference will be given to EE candidates).
The Research division’s main purpose is to strategically support and proactively provide M-Net, and the various channel clusters, with relevant research into their target markets, content selection, scheduling, competition, audience viewing behaviours and general content consumption trends.
This is to successfully support business decision-making with strategic insight (short and long-term).
The Research Specialist is required to support the specific M-Net channel cluster with content and audience research, findings, interpretations and strategic recommendations.
It entails the collation and interpretation of data, as well as the ability to proactively communicate insight into strategic decisions impacting on the channel division’s performance.
External factors that will influence the work environment taking future conditions and strategic requirements into account:
- Business environment
- Dynamic organisation
- M-Net policies and procedures
- Fast-paced and constantly changing environment
- Business units within M-Net
- DStv Digital Media
- DStv Media Sales
- Research agencies
The outputs include the following:
Channel / content research, analysis and interpretation:
- Target market (profile / trends)
- Content selection
- Scheduling patterns / trends
- Competitive research, analysis and interpretation (target markets, content, scheduling and other).
- Assist in developing reporting standard specific to the channel cluster / stakeholder.
- Assist in conducting and distributing relevant, succinct channel specific research.
- Weekly research insight meetings with specific channel stakeholders (channel heads/marketing/scheduling).
- Distribute weekly/bi-weekly/monthly reports relating to M-Net channel and content performance, including competitor performance (audience ratings – channel and content, insights and recommendations).
- Assist with Monthly presentations to directors and channel heads regarding channel and content performance, including competitor performance (with strategic insight and sound recommendations).
- Assist with Market assessment and competitor analysis - reports relating to the specific channel cluster (new players, platforms, content, scheduling patterns, industry trends etc.).
- Assist with providing informed and practical recommendations to business / channel division.
- DStv-i and desktop research, including field research where required.
- Social media trend research.
- Quality assurance on all data / reports / presentations (data verification).
- Support field research projects as required by business.
- Assist with research supporting any new company developments (new projects/channels/platforms/content).
- Knowledge of and passion for TV content (movies / series / documentaries).
- An ability to strategically analyse data and provide insight and recommendations.
- Excellent command of the English language (written and spoken).
- Presentation and communication skills.
- Meticulous / attention to detail.
- A team player.
- Time management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Good organizational and co-ordination skills.
- Must have relevant 3 year degree (Research, Economics, Finance, Sociology/Psychology, Information and Knowledge Management and or Media studies)
- Post-graduation qualification in research or related field would be an advantage
- Must have an exceptional knowledge of and a passion for the media industry
- Must have advanced computer skills (MS Excel / MS Word / MS PowerPoint)
Applications must be submitted to Tshepiso.Mokanyane@mnet.co.za