The CSIR has Vacation Work opportunities in the Integrative Systems, Technologies and Platforms Competency (ISTP) (within Meraka Institute) and Modelling and Digital Science (MDS). The vacation work programme is designed to provide students with experience and understanding of research and development and the implementation thereof in projects with a strong focus in science, engineering, technology and mathematics. These opportunities are based in Pretoria.
The CSIR (Council for Scientific and Industrial Research) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation, implementing projects throughout Africa and making a difference in people’s lives.
About the programme
The Data Science for Impact and Decision Enhancement (DSIDE) Programme is an intensive twelve week program (4 weeks in June and 8 weeks in December and January) that places students into multi-disciplinary teams working on real world problems from ICT-related fields. Mentors from the CSIR data science practitioner community will provide guidance and support on all projects. The goal of the DSIDE program is to give students an opportunity to solve a real problem in a real context and to give partners an opportunity to tap the skills and ingenuity of a student team. Some problems have been solved under the visual analytic framework with the goal of letting the data tell the story of “What happened”, “Where”, “How”, and “When”. Teams will comprise of technical expertise and public policy expertise, for a truly interdisciplinary approach. Problems will come from domains such as education, social media, transportation, energy, smart urban development, government policy making, etc.
- Currently enrolled third and fourth year students studying towards a Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science, statistics, applied maths, economics, public policy, graphic design and journalism with good academic standing;
- Ability to identifying patterns, solve problems have an analytic mind and be hardworking
- Strong software development skills.
- Certified copies of tertiary qualifications.
- Certified copy of the latest academic record.
- Certified copy of an Identity Document.
- Copy of CV (1 page highlighting past experiences and academic work related to the position).
How to apply
Closing date is 13 May 2016. Should you meet the above requirements, please email your CV to email@example.com with your name and surname, position title and reference number on the subject line, (e.g. John Smith: Vacation Work: Reference No:306728)PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
Via - CSIR