The CSIR (Council for Scientific and Industrial Research) has a vacancy for a Communications Intern in the National Laser Centre (NLC). The purpose of this role is to increase the profile of the National Laser Centre and the CSIR by providing holistic, comprehensive communications support to the communications manager. This includes developing and packaging written content concerning the organisation’s work for dissemination through various media platforms. This position is based in Pretoria.CSIR is a leading scientific and technology research organisation, implementing projects throughout Africa and making a difference in people’s lives.How to apply
- Source, develop and package content in order to effectively communicate the CSIR’s scientific achievements, research projects, outputs and outcomes, Science Engineering and Technology (SET) base profiles, social impact, or creation of commercial value for dissemination through various channels platforms, and media. This will include active participation in all layers of the process which includes: Conceptualisation, Copy writing & Supplier liaison)
- Protect and promote brand CSIR at NLC by encouraging adherence to brand standards and coordination of unit brand collateral;
- Offer comprehensive operational support in terms of administrative duties for the communications department;
- Assist in the planning and execution of unit events such as stakeholder visits, conferences, staff social events, etc;
- Serve as entry point for enquiries relating to the project;
- Participate in meetings to keep abreast of latest developments, recording of these sessions, communicating outcomes, setting up sessions, including some degree of community liaison;
- Generate and manage content for the project website, the Broadband-4-All wiki and other project-related websites;
- Contribute to the building of a positive image of the CSIR and its RIA activities and that of its stakeholders.
- A Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related fields;
- Experience in a field which required science writing as primary deliverable is essential;
- Proven ability to extract information from an interview or document, write in popularised style;
- Proven ability to work in a team;
- Knowledge of and the use of social media and wireless technologies will be an advantage;
- Willingness to travel to sites where the project team is working.
Closing date is 17 June 2016. Should you meet the above requirements, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and surname, position title and reference number on the subject line, (e.g. John Smith: Communications Intern: Reference No: 306813).
For more info, please contact CSIR Recruitment Centre on 012 841 4774 or email us at Recruitmentinfo@csir.co.za