It also runs various legal clinics, while managing special projects focusing on particular vulnerable groups. One of these projects involves children that need legal representation.
ProBono.Org seeks to appoint Legal Interns, based in Johannesburg.
This is a fixed term contract.
Opportunity closing date: Monday, 11 July, 2016
- Interview persons seeking legal assistance or anyone acting on their behalf
- Assess matters in terms of the ProBono.Org criteria
- Consult with ProBono.Org staff attorneys on the best strategy dealing with matters, such as direct assistance, litigation, mediation or another form of legal intervention
- Prepare detailed briefs or memos for legal practitioners in matters that require pro bono legal assistance
- Manage all matters from time of consultation until such matter is closed or referred to an attorney or advocate
- Maintain, build and enhance strong relationships with NGOs, CBOs, law clinics and other pro bono and public interest law initiatives
- Write reports on matters to be used as part of ProBono.Org’s reporting and communication functions, including Facebook and Twitter
- Attend workshops and seminars on behalf of ProBono.Org
- Facilitate community and attorney workshops on behalf of ProBono.Org
- Conduct research and handle other details in preparation of matters, where necessary
- An appropriate law qualification, (LLB) with some practical experience
- Knowledge of SA’s socio-economic environment and how it impacts on justice
- Demonstrated interest in human rights work, especially involving children and marginalised groups
- Proactive attitude, with enthusiasm for ProBono.Org’s mission and vision as set out above
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills
- Writing and editing skills
To apply, submit a motivational letter, CV, copies of qualifications and two contactable references to Admin at email@example.com or phone our offices for more information 011 339 6080.
Please quote the source of this advertisement in your application - NGO Pulse Portal.
For more about ProBono.Org, refer to www.probono.org.za.