Gay & Lesbian Memory in Action (GALA) seeks a graduate Archives Intern.
GALA is a centre for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) culture and education in Africa.
Our mission is, first and foremost, to act as a catalyst for the production, preservation and dissemination of knowledge on the history, culture and contemporary experiences of LGBTI people.
IMPORTANT: The position requires a person with an open mind and a commitment to human rights.
As an LGBTI organization, the candidate would need to be comfortable working in an environment that engages with sexuality and gender issues. Applicants with an interest in LGBTI rights and history would be preferred.
This internship is for a period of five moths, starting 1 August 2016. Working hours are 8:30 – 16:30, based at the GALA offices at University Corner, Braamfontein.
The internship pays a fair stipend.
For more information about GALA, please look at our website: www.gala.co.za.
The archive is at the heart of GALA’s mission and the successful intern would assist the archivist with various archival duties.
- · Assisting in sorting and processing collections
- · Assisting in preserving collections
- · Assisting in writing up inventories
- · Checking the contents of archival collections to make sure they are in in order, checking for missing files, making sure contents of boxes match inventories
- · Writing short articles about collections
- · Assisting with digitising collections
- · Assisting with updating GALA’s archive guide to collections
- · Transcribing of oral history interviews
- · Assisting with general administrative duties when necessary
- · Attending occasional events and documenting them for GALA (note taking, photographing, writing up an event description or report)
- · Assisting with any other projects and events that may be taking place at GALA during the internship period, these might include exhibition research, book launches, public talks and seminars.
Qualifications and competencies:
- · Minimum: undergraduate tertiary degree completed, preferably in the fields of History or Heritage Studies
- · An active interest in history and archives
- · The ability to work methodically and logically with large amounts of material
- · Ability to treat archival material with respect and care
- · Excellent command of English, both spoken and written
- · Able to follow instructions and work independently, as well as part of team when necessary
Please send CV and cover letter to Nobantu Nqolobe: firstname.lastname@example.org by 17 July 2016.
GALA reserves the right not to fill this position.