Produce original multimedia content for Bhekisisa and work with African correspondents and Bhekisisa reporters on videos, slideshows and podcasts.
- Create original, relevant and compelling multimedia content;
- Must be able to follow a brief, shoot and edit independently as well as work as part of a team;
- Conceptualise original content ideas and apply these;
- Work with a content management system to upload multimedia;
- Assist the multimedia reporter with tasks such as archiving, etc;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Final year university journalism student
- Knowledge of audio and photography is preferable;
- Must have a strong editorial sense, be able to research stories, conduct interviews and produce stories in their entirety;
- Knowledge of the online editorial industry and environment;
- Understanding of how multimedia and multi-platform news media works;
- An excellent grasp of the English language;
- A portfolio of work;
- South African citizenship;
- A valid driver’s license that is valid in South Africa.
- Ability to identify relevant health content;
- Good camera work and video editing skills;
- Able to use the Adobe suite, particularly Premiere Pro, Photoshop and InDesign;
- Flexibility to adapt style to demands of the material;
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver under time constraints;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written);
- Good planning and implementation skills;
- Strong analytical & conceptual thinking skills;
- Able to work independently and as part of a team;
- Should have good, sound news judgment.
The deadline for applications is 23 September, but applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so students are encouraged to apply early.
- Academic Transcript;
- A recommendation from a journalism lecturer that includes the lecturer’s contact details (email and phone number). This recommendation should be able to speak to the quality of your work and should be sent directly to the Mail & Guardian at email@example.com. Please ask your lecturer to use your full name and ID number as a subject line;
- A 400-word motivational statement clearly stating which of the three positions you are applying for and why you would be a good fit for this internship. This motivation should speak to the tasks / qualities outlined in the relevant job description below;
- Two samples of your writing (for the print internships) or two examples of your multimedia work (for the multimedia internship).